Offer of Employment: Artistic and Executive Director
Montréal, arts interculturels (MAI) invites seasoned and creative individuals to join its team.
Closing date: October 31, 2022
Start of work: As early as possible
About the MAI (Montréal, Arts Interculturels)
Established in 1999, the MAI advocates for, and supports the development, creation, presentation and promotion of intercultural arts (hybrid arts created through a blending of forms, genres, styles, disciplines and languages) for diversified audiences.
The MAI offers programs that catalyze conversations about intercultural, intergenerational, interdisciplinary arts, and related themes; promoting community and intercultural exchanges which transcend gender, race, class, ability, sexual orientation, religion, age, language or other such sectarian axes of identity, marked and unmarked.
For further information, please consult the MAI website: https://www.m-a-i.qc.ca/en/about/
About the Position
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Artistic and Executive Director is responsible for overall artistic direction, operational management and oversight at the MAI.
The director’s role is to provide a coherent and stimulating vision for all MAI activities. They are responsible for programming in the three spaces that make up the MAI (the theatre, the gallery and the café) in consultation with the various artistic advisers. They direct, delegate, control and coordinate programming and production activities.
The director ensures the smooth running of operational activities. They administer the operating budgets and see to the adequate funding of the organization. As such, they must liaise and follow up on files with the organization’s various partners (funders, artists and stakeholders in the artistic community, representatives of cultural communities, partners in the various boroughs, etc.).
The director recruits and manages staff, while taking responsibility for management of the organization’s operations.
▪ Drafting of grant applications and management of agreements with funding agencies and partners.
▪ Recruitment and management of human resources.
▪ Financial and administrative coordination and monitoring of the MAI;
▪ Preparation of various ad hoc and annual administrative and financial reports.
▪ Collaboration with the members of the board of directors;
▪ Preparation and follow-up for meetings of the Board of Directors and General Meetings.
Consultation, support and community animation
▪ Represent the MAI and the Regroupement during consultations with political, governmental, artistic and intercultural circles; liaise with the Board as needed;
▪ Recruitment of external partners, in the various boroughs.
▪ Establishment and maintenance of general artistic directions for programming at the MAI and externally, as well as strategic activities relating to the development of audiences, networking and support for the community.
▪ Balanced programming of all disciplines presented at the MAI, reflecting intercultural practices and the activities of artists and organizations (established, mid-career and emerging) from different cultural communities;
▪ Development of the MAI programming schedule (with the Technical Director, based on available resources);
▪ Development of terms of agreements with artists, conditions, remuneration etc.
Consulting and prospecting
▪ Prospecting for projects and call for proposals to artists and arts organizations (performances and exhibitions).
Requirements / Qualifications
▪ Excellent command of French and English, both oral and written;
▪ At least 2 years’ experience in artistic direction;
▪ Proficiency in MS Office suite software or similar;
▪ Availability during the day, Premiere evenings, and weekends, according to the schedule of events;
▪ Good knowledge of multidisciplinary arts;
▪ A university degree in a field related to the position will be considered an asset.
▪ Ability to manage human and creative resources;
▪ Ability to cultivate and maintain a positive and engaging team culture;
▪ Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
▪ Autonomy/Sense of organization;
▪ Ability to work on several projects simultaneously;
▪ Proven problem-solving skills;
▪ Curiosity and ongoing interest in the artistic environment and new practices.
▪ Salary range $62K-$68K annually commensurate with experience, reviewed annually;
▪ Expense account for prospection activities (e.g. travel);
▪ Schedule from Monday to Friday 10am to 6pm / 35 hours/week, opening nights, special events and administrative meetings;
▪ Five (5) weeks paid vacation;
▪ Salary according to experience.
* Important: To apply, please send:
▪ Your resume, and
▪ A cover letter
to the attention of Himmat Singh Shinhat
Interim Artistic and General Director
Only applications accompanied by a CV and a letter of interest will be considered. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, but only those whose applications are considered will be contacted.
The MAI is committed to having a competent workforce that reflects the diversity of the Quebec / Canadian population. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate in your job application if you belong to one of the target groups: women, racialized persons, Aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.
Please note that this job posting will remain open until the position is filled.